X3-pre release discussion; official trailer site & 7 minute preview

What's kind of irritating with this plot is regarding the Dark Phoenix saga, a lot of characters were involved including Banshee, Magik, and a couple of others. Unless of course I'm wrong.

I still say Magik would have been awesome but knowing Hollywood they would choose some awful actress to portray the teleporter. :shrug:
 
You're right.It won't be like the comic exactly-I think that straying completely from what actually happened isn't great.
They're trying to cram so much into the third film-Sentinels,Phoenix,more characters and what I think might be the Legacy Virus or some other form of it.

Has anyone seen a shot of Calisto?The promo side shot of the actress playing her screamed Jennifer Beals to me.Same pose she did for an LWord promo,but I know it wasn't her-still looked so like her.
 
Hmmmmm, this movie looks to be interesting. I think it will do well. The real question is is weather this movie will have enough action without it involving wolverine.
 
A 7 year old I know told me the cutest and yet disturbingly true thing earlier.
He said "Is this film all about Wolverine or do you see other people?"

I said "Um..what are you on about?"

He said "Well wolverine is on all the poster and I saw a thing on tv and you see alot of him too"

Very true and hopefully they don't base the whole thing around him or *cough triangles of love cough*
 
I can't wait for this movie to come out!

Even though it's not exactly like the comics (Which I never read, nor got into), it's still a very good trilogy. The focus on Wolverine does bother me a bit, but considering Wolverine is played by Hugh Jackman, pretty much a household name and one of the big heavy-hitters on the cast (Like Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Rebecca Romijn etc.), I can see why he has such a big influence on the films. He brings in A LOT of fans, which provide money, which the production company and people responsible for the film want. So I can understand the logic behind that, even if Wolverine isn't one of my favorite characters ;).

Has anyone seen a shot of Calisto?The promo side shot of the actress playing her screamed Jennifer Beals to me.Same pose she did for an LWord promo,but I know it wasn't her-still looked so like her.

Callisto is played by Dania Ramirez. Although unfortunately I haven't seen many pictures of Callisto other than the promo, it's definitely Danie Ramirez :nod:. (Unless imdb.com is lying to me, heh).

I'm very glad that Storm is getting more screen time in this movie as well, she's my favorite X-Men character, and I actually LIKE Halle Berry, unlike many others (Even WITH her CatWoman performance...:stupid:). And the trailers are awesome, hopefully I'll be able to get tickets for opening night come the 24th. It's either that or I'm sneaking into the Movie Theater myself!
 
Vilandra said:
Halle Berry sucks! lol

Hey! :mad: *points to her own avatar and signature* I adore Halle Berry :raspberry

...but, sadly, I dislike her MUCH as Storm. Honestly, I find it strange that they take the most popular [to some] "black" actress to play the most known "black" X-[wo]Man just to make more money. Sick sick SICK! I'm NOT looking forward to this...I can tell that it's going to be Wolverine all over again. Just him...sadly. It's always about Wolverine/Scott/Jean...what about Storm or The Beast or Jubilee? I'm SO pissed that they don't have Gambit...but they would'nt have made him right, anyway. *sighs*:(
 
here you go! the first EARLY review of the movie

proxy.php

Published on Friday, May 12th, 2006 at 06:12:56 PM CST

Jemma McFatBack is back - this time with a look at X3!
Hey folks, Harry here... Seems I'm getting flooded with reviews on X3, tons of negatives at this point, but given there's a concerted effort by folks to punk AICN with their fake reviews - I'm not posting any review that doesn't come from someone that has written in the past. Well, Jemma McFatBack has reviewed films like Ratner's RED DRAGON and 28 DAYS LATER on the site, plus he sent a jpg of his ticket from tonight's screening in Leceister Square for the press. His review does not make me happy, quite the contrary. I was genuinely pleased to see that positive review (that turned out to be faked) - but the second review was confirmed and so has this one. Sadly - both were negative. Neither calling it an unmitigated disaster... just sadly mediocre and flat. TheMovieBox.Net seems to have the best collection of links to X3 clips and trailers - so check them out. Personally I'm holding off till I see the movie. Here ya go...

Jemma McFatBack said:
Hey guys, Jemma McFatBack with a review for you...

Seen the back and forth on this site and the talkbacks, so hoping to put your mind at ease. I'm sure you'll get a lot of reviews tonight - I just got back from the UK Press Screening at Empire Leicester Square and came straight home. You'll get more later when the pubs shut and the X-Fans come home from drowning their sorrows ;)

First up - some proof. Here's a crappy phone-cam shot of my tickets. (HARRY NOTE: No Need To Publish It. It's an ugly pass)

So, how is it? Well, your 2nd review seemed pretty accurate in terms of thoughts on the film, and 100% factually accurate too. The film isn't terrible, but it's mediocre, and when you compare it to the first two, that becomes infuriating. I've heard Matthew Vaughn pulled out because he couldn't shoot the film to the deadline given. So they got Studio Yes-Man Ratner (who, aside from the shitty After The Sunset, IMO has made servicable-but-never-good films), and he shot to schedule. Which would probably explain the film's slightly skittish nature, and the nasty amount of green screened 'location' work, even where no effect is in shot. Most of the effects work here, even on the big stuff, is pretty average. Not technically terrible, just soulless.

I'd try to compare it to another film, in terms of 'goodness', and maybe Fantastic Four is a decent reference point... but then again maybe not. To explain... I'd give the films a similar 5/10 rating, but X3 works, and doesn't work, in different ways. There's good bits here, occasionally, but they're almost cases of goodness-by-leftover. Phoenix and Logan's first meeting is pretty good, as is the Jean/Prof/Magneto showdown in her old house, but mainly because these are characters we've built up an affinity for. I can't think of much that's completely new here that's very good - Kelsey Grammar as Beast is OK, I suppose, and Leech is an interesting character, but is barely involved. Further, some old stuff from the past films doesn't get developed and gets repetitive - Ice vs Fire, Metal vs Magnetic Powers, we've seen it before. Oh, and Halle's still crap. So maybe the FF comparison is pointless, but I'm searching for a better reference point. Maybe it'll come to me...

The main problem is there's nothing to care about. The school doesn't seem to live and breathe, and so that's wasted. The first major 'shock' death is strangely underplayed, so the second one loses a little of its power too (deliberately vague here). Magneto goes super-bad rather than being interestingly bad (he takes the Stryker role, I suppose, in badness, if not belief), and the big threat that drives the plot seems like nothing at all. At one point, the Pres says 'God help us', but if those doing bad at the time got what they were trying to get at that moment, I think everyone would have gone back to being at peace.

Sure, there's spectacle, but by the time it came (it's mostly at the end), I'd got a little bored. And so had the others, if the audience reaction is anything to go by. There's one-liners dotted around that are OK I suppose, and some seemed to be lapping them up. However, as the last bit of action ended, a domino effect of walk-outs started. Sure, it's Friday night, the film was late starting and they wanted to get to the cellphone collection point, but once a few stood up, many started to leave. That suggests to me that the audience was restless, had had enough and, like me, cared nothing for any of the character work in the film, which is what remained. Maybe some people enjoyed the film, and it's no catastrophe, but there's no way I'll see this again. It's T:3-2, if you see what I mean.

That's all,

Jemma.


Among other things, Looks like yet ANOTHER person feels that Storm was HORRIBLY miscast. Halle Berry just doesnt work for the role. lol
 
But because she's Halle 'Oscar Winner' Berry they had to keep her happy and put her in the film more.Otherwise she would of cried or something.
 
Arion said:
But because she's Halle 'Oscar Winner' Berry they had to keep her happy and put her in the film more.Otherwise she would of cried or something.

So true! :nod: I think many fans feel Halle has talent but I can't see it. Catwoman was a complete JOKE lol and let's not forget Boomerang, Passenger 57, X - Men (1, 2, 3).

The character Storm should be older and wise like Ororo not some younger generation actress who can't hack it. (Sorry Marla, and Sam ;) )
 
Foxfire said:
So true! :nod: I think many fans feel Halle has talent but I can't see it. Catwoman was a complete JOKE lol and let's not forget Boomerang, Passenger 57, X - Men (1, 2, 3).

The character Storm should be older and wise like Ororo not some younger generation actress who can't hack it. (Sorry Marla, and Sam ;) )

Quite frankly Storm SHOULD have been played be Angela Bassett which was who Wizard Magazine had reported was offered the role back when the FIRST X-men movie was getting off the ground in 1999. For some reason (ive yet to find out why) Angela passed on the role. but based on looks, voice, and strength of acting..Angela would have did this character SERIOUS justice.

even my mother said this after seeing the first movie: "of all the comics of yours ive read with storm, that woman was always a force of nature. Hard edged, yet elegant and intimidating at the same time. they needed someone stronger to play her...Halle Berry was too delicate."

i think part of the problem was that idiot Bryan Singer who ADMITTED he wanted the films to focus on Wolverine AND that he wasnt too interested in Storm. I'm GLAD that AT LEAST Halle Berry used her clout (she is an academy award AND emmy winning actress after all) to fight to get Storm more screen team and have the character portrayed better (even with the new hair which is more close to resemling storms than those last two HORRID BLONDE do's she had in X 1 and 2). For pete's sake..Storm LEAD the X-men for over 15 years (our time) ...she was a FAR better commander than Cyclops and WOLVERINE respected her to the utmost. They made her out to be some mousy woman in the first two X films. :rolleyes:

I'm glad Bryan Singer is not attached to this project as well. Storm was one of my favorite X-ladies growing up as well...it was so disappointing that after more than a decade of being "in development" they couldnt do any better than having Halle Berry as Storm and fucking Anna Paquin as Rogue....UGH!
 
Angela Bassett would of been a great choice.But I think Halle got her whip out and told the producers to put her in the third film.Not saying she's a complete diva,but she can do that now because she's got more power.
I didn't even see Catwoman because everything about it oozzed 'crapness'.
 
Arion said:
Angela Bassett would of been a great choice.But I think Halle got her whip out and told the producers to put her in the third film.Not saying she's a complete diva,but she can do that now because she's got more power.
I didn't even see Catwoman because everything about it oozzed 'crapness'.


well being an Academy Award winning actress as WELL as an Emmy winning actress is going to give the person alot of power and respect. Which is probably why she was able to escape a career meltdown following CatWoman...that movie actually did DECENTLY in DVD sales when it was first released and no one was expecting that.

CatWoman was such a NEEDLESS film..it had NOTHING to do with the orioginal mythos of Catwoman in the comics or even the previous Tim Burton "Batman" films (unless you count a brief shot of an 8X10 photo of Michele Pfieffer as Cat Woman in "Batman returns" appearing on the floor of the old woman's appartment in one scene of the Catwoman movie lol)

Halle Berry plays better DRAMATIC and poingnant roles: "Losing Isaiah"; "Monster's Ball"; even "Gothika" she doesnt need to do the super heroine roles. Its not within her reach as an actress IMO.
 
Let's be fair here, though; Catwoman the film was not just a joke because of Berry's acting. The plotline, as Spells mentioned, was atrocious. Now, I'm not necessarily one to judge a comic book film's quality on it's closeness to the books (the X-Franchise and Fantastic Four have been pretty deviant so far, but still enjoyable, once I've silenced the inner pedant), but her story was appalling. A pharmaceutical worker who was resurrected by some ancient force to become a cat-avatar? Please...I could have written better in half an hour.

Catwoman was, for me, the woman who was sick and tired of Batman getting the airtime, and sick of living in poverty, and so created the Catwoman persona as a way of rectifying both of these problems - there was nothing unneccessarily mythical about my favourite version of her origin story, and instead was just a tale of a woman who wanted something and went for it. None of that "favoured by the gods" crap.
 
I don't think Halle is a bad actress at all.From what I've heard it's all of the what was mentioned above that lead to the film being so poor.And without being offensive to her (just in case she's here or something :p ) after Bassett Berry is a good second choice for Storm.

Has anyone seen the clip where we see Colossus go into steel mode when firing Wolverine towards the Sentinel?What do you guys think if you did see it?
 
The "Fastball Special" was far from traditional, and certainly a lot more unwieldy than its comics counterpart, but I'm glad they decided to do it in some form, rather than leaving it by the wayside with lots of other cool things...*grumbles*like the X-Men costumes, and decent characterisation, and plotlines which stuck to the comics...
 
I would of loved to of seen them in their original costumes-Hugh Jackman in a yellow stripped spandex suit?!?! hehehe
 
I think that the lack of X-Men costumes was just one more way that Bryan Singer let down the representation of the X-Books in the films. His characterisations were mostly wrong (Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, all off in some way, mostly too weak as characters), the costumes did not remind me of heroes so much as some sort of weird cult who slice up members and keep them in freezers to eat later, and his butchering of plotlines was enough to make anyone who knew even a fraction of the old material burst into tears.

The films aren't too bad, I suppose, as long as you don't compare them to the comics; like that travesty of a new Italian Job - it'd have been great if there were no name references to the original, since that way, it'd have been just another reasonable crime film with a nice, subtle homage to The Italian Job...
 
Back
Top