Toledo Riot: Nazis and Thugs

Karma

Heart Attack
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
7,430
Location
Outside of time and space
Violence erupts when Neo-Nazi's attempt to march

Neighbors: Neo-Nazis Had No Right to March

proxy.php

By JOHN SEEWER,
Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 23 minutes ago


In the days leading up to a white supremacist march, ministers pleaded with residents to stay calm and community leaders organized peace rallies. Authorities even delayed releasing the route so protesters wouldn't know where the group planned to march.

It wasn't enough to stop an angry mob that included gang members from looting and burning a neighborhood bar, smashing the windows of a gas station and hurling rocks and bottles at police on Saturday. Twelve officers were injured, one suffering a concussion when a brick flew through her cruiser window.

In all, 114 people were arrested on charges including assault, vandalism, failure to disperse and overnight curfew violations.

"We knew during the preparation that it was going to be a tremendous challenge," Police Chief Mike Navarre said Sunday. "Anyone who would accuse us of being underprepared I would take exception with that."
Much of the anger boiled over because people were upset that city leaders were willing to allow the supremacists to walk through the neighborhood and shout insults, residents and authorities said. "You can't allow people to come challenge a whole city and not think they weren't going to strike back," said Kenneth Allen, 47, who watched the violence begin near his home. Authorities said there was little they could do to stop the group, because they did not apply for a parade permit and instead planned to walk along sidewalks.
"They do have a right to walk on the Toledo sidewalks," said Mayor Jack Ford, who at one point confronted leaders of the mob and tried to settle them down.

A gang member in a mask threatened to shoot him, and others cursed him for allowing the march, the mayor said. He said he didn't know if the man who threatened him was actually armed, but he blamed gangs for much of the violence. The march had been called off because of the crowds, and the white supremacists had left. If the Nazi group tries to come back, Ford said he would seek a court order to stop them.

Navarre said the riots escalated because members of the National Socialist Movement took their protest to the neighborhood, which is predominantly black, instead of a neutral place. "If this march had occurred in downtown Toledo, we wouldn't have had the unrest," he said.

The neo-Nazi group, known as "America's Nazi Party," said they came to the city because of a dispute between neighbors, one white and the other black.
Police began receiving word midweek from officers on the street that gangs were going to descend on the neighborhood in protest, the police chief said. The disturbances were confined to a 1-square-mile area, but the crowd swelled to about 600 people, overwhelming police.

The crowds were eventually dispersed by police in riot gear after about four hours, and the mayor declared a state of emergency that remained in effect through the weekend.

About 200 officers patrolled the neighborhood overnight after the riot, Navarre said. Police reported no problems Sunday, but an 8 p.m. curfew was in effect for a second night.

Neighbors were divided about the city allowing the march.
"They don't have the right to bring hate to my front yard," said Terrance Anderson, who lives near a bar that was destroyed.
Other neighbors said the group had a right to have their say. "Too bad the people couldn't ignore them," said Dee Huntley.
 

[FONT=helvetica,arial]www.suntimes.com[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]Back to regular view[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ohio16.html[/FONT] [FONT=helvetica,arial]Print this page[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Plan for racist march in Toledo sparks riots

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]October 16, 2005[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BY JOHN SEEWER
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TOLEDO, Ohio -- A crowd that gathered to protest a white supremacists' march Saturday turned violent, throwing baseball-sized rocks at police, vandalizing vehicles and stores, and setting fire to a neighborhood bar, authorities said.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When Mayor Jack Ford and a local minister tried to calm the rioting, they were cursed for allowing the march, and Ford said a masked gang member threatened to shoot him.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ford blamed the rioting on gangs taking advantage of a volatile situation. He declared a state of emergency, set an 8 p.m. curfew through the weekend, and asked the Highway Patrol for help.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]''It's exactly what they wanted,'' Ford said of the group that planned the march, which was canceled because of the rioting.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]At least two dozen members of the National Socialist Movement, which calls itself "America's Nazi Party," had gathered at a city park to march under police protection. Organizers said they were demonstrating against black gangs they said were harassing white residents.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]At least 65 arrests[/FONT]


[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Violence broke out along the planned march route shortly before it was to begin. Some men pounded on a convenience store, and others overturned vehicles. There was a report of a shooting but police hadn't found a victim, Police Chief Mike Navarre said.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For several hours, about 150 police officers chased bands of young men through the area. Officers wearing gas masks fired tear gas canisters and flash-bang devices designed to stun suspects, but the groups continued throwing rocks and bottles. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Finally, police marched shoulder-to-shoulder down the street shouting to people to stay inside, and the crowd of several hundred broke up.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]At least 65 people were arrested on charges including assault, vandalism and failure to disperse, Navarre said. He said the white supremacists had left hours earlier. AP[/FONT]


[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=helvetica,arial]Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
 
Now my personal thoughts . .

What "genius" decided that this would be a good idea? Yeah we are going to let Neo Nazis from OUT OF STATE come and march in the "hood." Yeah then we are going ot have white cops protect them, ohhh so White Cops protecting Neo Nazis
shouting racial slurs in a lower class black neighborhood . . .and we wonder why a riot started?

1. The city leadership should have had the rally take place somewhere outside of the neighborhood.

2. The KKK marches in my hometown all the time, we just ignore them while they yell racial slurs. Is't their thing, they want riots to break out, the media wants riots to break out, criminals wanted riots to break out . . .guess what? all the degenerates got what they wanted.

People need to think . . .and the mayor of Toledo whom I've seen before in the flesh is a black man, he knew better (and of course he's a democrat . .. I tell you).

Thank goodness I'm an independent.
 
Practically the same thing happens every year when the Protestants celebrate the Battle of the Boyne in Northern Ireland. They march through the streets basically giving the Irish Catholics the middle finger and gloating over their victory.

I don't know why people feel the need to be this stupid, but it's sad it happened here in the states.

Everyone has the right to peaceful assembly but I don't think this fits that definition at all.
 
Oh lord oh lord, I thought I was ashamed of Virginians when we had that iBook riot.

I don't know if these were Virginian neo-Nazis. I know they were not even Ohioans (Ohioans? Is that the term? ;)), but I cannot confirm that they're Virginians. I heard that somewhere before it happened, but I have no idea if it's true. BUT the spokesman for the National Socialist Movement (of morons), Bill White, is from right here, beautiful Roanoke, VA. I'm so f***ing proud of my fellow Virginian. Supporting these idiots. All they were doing was trying to start nastiness. They had a full right to be there and say what they wanted to say: But personally, I think these pinheads should be charged with inciting a riot or something. I mean, you go to another city, another STATE to a prodominantly black neighborhood and spew your white supremecist CRAP, and expect people to believe that you're NOT trying to start trouble? No way. I absolutely think they wanted to start some kind of trouble.

Also, if anybody listens to the Glenn Beck Program (I doubt it, I'm a huge talk radio junkie ;) ) he had Bill White on last week. He's insane. And he's from Roanoke, as I said before, (where I'm living for school) so of course, he's ALL over our local news. I'm so tired of his crap. Glenn had him on to show how crazy he is, but I think it's just helping him, or at least making him feel important.

Ok, I'm sorry. [/rant]. I'm just glad that most national news isn't emphasizing that this guy is from VA. Seriously, whatever happened to Sic Semper Tyrannis? If Hitler wasn't a tyrant, I don't know who was.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top