Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four 2?

Dapper Dan

<i>Just A<br>D R E A M E R</i>
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
696
Location
VA
Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four 2?
Source: Variety
May 4, 2006


Variety reports that Marvel's Silver Surfer is on course to become a linchpin in Fantastic Four 2, which 20th Century Fox is readying for a July 4, 2007 release.

The character has evolved into one of Marvel's more sophisticated comic book heroes. A Surfer feature has been in Fox's arsenal for a decade, but the studio waited because the project is so ambitiously f/x-heavy and Fox has been busy with other Marvel franchises.

The wait ends with "FF2." The storyline is being finalized, with the studio about to choose between a script by X2: X-Men United scribe Mark Frost and another by Don Payne, who scripted Fox/New Regency's My Super-Ex Girlfriend.

According to the trade, Payne's script is the frontrunner and includes the Surfer.
 
now how are they going to make him look BELIEVABLE? they screwed up with Ben Grimm/The Thing..and made him look like a pile of orange vomit that had hardened with age :haha: i just hope they could do some kind of justice to the well toned body and sleek look of the Silver Surfer.
 
I say go CG all the way, we are at the day and age were CG looks 90-98% life like so why mess it up and try to paint a guy silver. The effects would go much better if the guy is CG as well, since they have to make him fly on a silver board and all, I think a regular human doing that would look fairly retarded.
 
Spellbinder said:
now how are they going to make him look BELIEVABLE? i just hope they could do some kind of justice to the well toned body and sleek look of the Silver Surfer.

I suggest they use my body as an example how the SS should look. :nod:
 
Now, using the Silver Surfer will only be an asset to the film if done right, which will be hard to do. Getting the look right will be extremely difficult, but for me, the character and associated plotline will be far more so.

After all, I would be very dubious about a Silver Surfer turning up without some sort of Galactus attachment, and I can't see them being that ambitious in the second film of a series, unless he makes an appearence at the outer edges of the solar system as the very last scene, weaving his way towards Earth as a cliffhanger moment.

Moreover, their treatment of him better be damn perfect; for all that Thing looked atrocious, his character was essentially given the right treatment - a man tormented by his appearence, but ready to shoulder any burden neccessary to help those he loves. The Surfer, as a soulful, reflective god, will be difficult to portray, both with script and actual acting - I really hope that they can pull it off, or it'll be the disappointment of the century.
 
I think the way they did Beast is the onlu success there is.I actually thought the Thing looked pretty good seen as he wasn't CG.
It's making a silver dude on a surf baord that's going to be hard to believe.
 
Well, they've proven it's possible - Colossus in X-3 doesn't look atrocious in any way; granted, it would be far more difficult to get the true, slightly more mirrored effect of the Surfer and his board than it would for him, but the principle is there. I think a truly FX-laden Silver Surfer film would be unbelievably awesome in a few years time, once they've gotten CGI stuff a little more advanced.

When it is...hoooboy, that'll be cool.
 
As long as they don't get Vin Diesel (once rumoured for the part), I will be very pleased. I feel they are only bringing him in as well as Galactus, to save the franchise because the first one didn't do to well. If done right, it maybe good enough to spawn another sequel.
 
I think that CGI-enhanced human in a suit would work. You know, set up his look and then use CGI to apply the shine and smooth out his look...
 
To be honest, if they did a really good plotline, I wouldn't be averse to seeing a film done in a similar manner to the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within film. Whilst that film was sorely lacking in plotline and dialogue, the fact that it was entirely CGI was fantastic.

Because it was all CGI (although extensively mapped from real sets and actors), there was no jarring transition from real to computer-animated when using the special effects; all merged together, and visually, the entire film was wholly beautiful, with everything looking like a part of the visual world they had created.

Plus, because it was all the same, inasmuch as none of it looked out of place where it was, and the "special effects" didn't jar at all with "the people," suspension of disbelief was actually easier for that film than it was for some others.

I would love to see a Silver Surfer film made like that - I feel it might be the best shot at getting the Power Cosmic to look as much a part of the Surfer as the silvery "skin," which would be easier to achieve.
 
Back
Top