Charles Manson gets marriage license

Screen Legend

Legendary
Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
966
Location
Canada
Yahoo.ca said:
CORCORAN, Calif. - Mass murderer Charles Manson plans to marry a 26-year-old woman who left her Midwestern home and spent the past nine years trying to help exonerate him.

Afton Elaine Burton, the raven-haired bride-to-be, said she loves the man convicted in the notorious murders of seven people, including pregnant actress Sharon Tate.

No date has been set, but a wedding co-ordinator has been assigned by the prison to handle the nuptials, and the couple has until early February to get married before they would have to reapply.

The Kings County marriage license, viewed Monday by The Associated Press, was issued Nov. 7 for the 80-year-old Manson and Burton, who lives in Corcoran — the site of the prison — and maintains several websites advocating his innocence.

Burton, who goes by the name "Star," told the AP that she and Manson will be married next month.

"Y'all can know that it's true," she said. "It's going to happen."

"I love him," she added. "I'm with him. There's all kinds of things."

However, as a life prisoner with no parole date, Manson is not entitled to family visits, a euphemism for conjugal visits.

So why would Burton marry him under those conditions?

She said she is interested in working on his case, and marrying him would allow her to get information not available to nonrelatives.

Asked Monday about those comments, Burton said, "None of that's true," adding that they're waiting for the prison to complete their paperwork.

California Department of Corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton confirmed to the AP that the license had been transmitted to the prison.

Thornton said each California prison designates an employee to be a marriage co-ordinator who processes paperwork for an inmate's request to be wed. In most cases, she said, the Department of Corrections approves of such weddings as "a tool of family reunification and social development." But Manson is a unique case.

Burton said the wedding might have happened earlier if Manson did not have "some situations" at the prison.

Thornton explained that in February, Manson had three violations for possession of a weapon, threatening staff and refusal to provide a urine sample. Further details on the violations were not immediately available.

Burton said the prison holds marriages on the first Saturday of each month and she expects to be married in an inmate visiting room at the prison.

Thornton confirmed that Manson can have a wedding at the prison and invite an officiant from outside the prison to perform the ceremony.

Manson and his prospective spouse also would be allowed to invite 10 guests who are not inmates.

He and two followers, Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkel, remain imprisoned. Another follower, Susan Atkins, died of cancer behind bars. Other members of the Manson "family" still behind bars are Charles "Tex" Watson, Bruce Davis and Robert Beausoleil.

Manson, Watson and the women were convicted in the gruesome killings of Tate, the wife of director Roman Polanski, and four others at her estate on Aug. 9, 1969, and grocers Leno and Rosemary LaBianca who were killed the following night.

Manson is not eligible for parole until 2027. He has been a habitual criminal and spent most of his life in prison.

Source

And here's a pic of the couple:

proxy.php


Some people are just weird. If he's innocent, then I'm the Tooth Fairy. :rolleyes:
 
I mean what the hell are people thinking? I've always thought this was such a weird subculture. These women who marry men in prison..I would really like the study the type of psychology behind this kind of thing. There is even about to be a new show on one of the networks about Prison Wives....UGH! lol
 
& he's got her looking like Susan Atkins & the other girls from the infamous "Family". How creepy! He's like a damn cockroach...he'll never die & the fascination w/ him continues.
 
she's got that look like she's the chosen sister-wife of the local cult leader

Took the words out of my mouth.

I really can't wrap my head around it, and i will never be able to understand why people choose to marry someone in jail, let alone a creep with a swastika on his forehead.
 
Reaction from Sharon Tate's sister

----------------

Sharon Tate was the most famous victim of the Manson Family murder rampage that claimed 7 lives in one night. Her mother & later her sister helped to bring "Victim's rights" into existence. Things like "victim impact statements" made in court are possible directly because of the efforts of Sharon Tate's mother & sister.

She also famously confronted Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) for his moving into the mansion where Sharon Tate was murdered & using the infamy of the mansion to draw attention to himself & his recording career. He had a recording studio built inside the mansion, even calling it "PIG" ( a reference to Susan Atkins writing "PIG" across the front door in Sharon Tate's blood the night she was murdered) He admitted he was wrong for what he did, saying he didn't fully appreciate the gravity of the tragedy. Eventually, he moved out but took the front door w/ him to his studio in New Orleans.
 
Last edited:
Growing up, I always had a bizarre fascination with Series Killers, especially Charles Manson. I wasn't intrigued by the brutality or the innocent lives he butchered. I was more interested in his mind and the psychology behind his madness. Why he did it? What prompted him to kill, etc? I've read many of the books and I've watched many of the interviews. There is something enticing about that man, even though he's completely disturbing and psychotic. He has a way with people, or at least he used to. We all know he's not getting out of prison.

However, getting back on topic, I read this story at work the other day and I was shocked to say the least. He's 80 and she's in her early twenties. The age is bizarre, but for me, the disturbing part is wanting to marry the man that manipulated his cult into butchering and killing a pregnant woman and her friends, then bragging about it. I personally think this woman was manipulated like the others in Mansons' cult. They began writing when she was still a teenager, and for most women, their lives are shaped during that time. I think she does care for him, possibly in love with the idea of finding her dark Prince Charming. I also think she probably wanted fame and notoriety as well. So many women lack a strong role model to guide them through their life. It may be possible; this girl didn't have that and clung to the idea of someone loving her. Who knows, but either way, it's so weird lol.
 
Growing up, I always had a bizarre fascination with Series Killers, especially Charles Manson. I wasn't intrigued by the brutality or the innocent lives he butchered. I was more interested in his mind and the psychology behind his madness. Why he did it? What prompted him to kill, etc? I've read many of the books and I've watched many of the interviews. There is something enticing about that man, even though he's completely disturbing and psychotic. He has a way with people, or at least he used to. We all know he's not getting out of prison.

The thing about Manson is that of the 7 ppl (possibly up to 13 but serveral of those murders & disappearences havent been conclusively linked to him & "The Family") is that he was only responsible for 2 of t hem, the rest were committed by his "Family" but the power he had over them, especially the women was astounding & if you look the girl that is his finacee, he has her looking exactly the way Susan Atkins & the other girls in "the family" looked.

Manson had a troubled life early on & was...is narcissistic & convinced that he the one who would bring about "great race war" & that only he & those who pledged allegiance to him would survive & repopulate the land. But he also had desires to be famous, & was an aspiring music writer w/ a loose association to a member of the Beach Boys. When his dreams of fame & wealth evaporated, he started to become unhinged & reverted to what is now known as the typical "cult leader" type.

TO this day he has no remorse for what he caused or did that claimed the lives of 7 ppl or the lives of "the family" that were destroyed by him. & this girl who wants to marry him MUST BE, as Debra Tate said, insane or naive. She really thinks he's innocent!?

However, getting back on topic, I read this story at work the other day and I was shocked to say the least. He's 80 and she's in her early twenties. The age is bizarre, but for me, the disturbing part is wanting to marry the man that manipulated his cult into butchering and killing a pregnant woman and her friends, then bragging about it. I personally think this woman was manipulated like the others in Mansons' cult.

Oh clearly. He could always sense the weak & prey on them. Again, he even has her looking like the classic "manson girl"

They began writing when she was still a teenager, and for most women, their lives are shaped during that time. I think she does care for him, possibly in love with the idea of finding her dark Prince Charming. I also think she probably wanted fame and notoriety as well. So many women lack a strong role model to guide them through their life. It may be possible; this girl didn't have that and clung to the idea of someone loving her. Who knows, but either way, it's so weird lol.

Prison groupies are both both tragic & intriguing. Thankfully, HER finace will NEVER see the outside of a jail cell & hopefully she will not be pushed over the edge like Atkins & the other Manson girls were.

I agree w/ Debra Tate, this man does not deserve attention & he needs to be left to rote away.
 
Back
Top