Favourite Computer Games and Computer Game Characters.

DonDaddyD

::Gesturing ala Nas::
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
450
Location
I'll tell you in another lifetime when we are both
Most who know me know that the one game I live for is Final Fantasy X I know of no greater game.

The Final Fantasy series has made its name on originality, in that there has been thirteen main titles (one on the game cube but that doesn't count it was shit) and all of them are different games in different worlds based on the concept that the gamer will be playing an RPG and living out a story. This was true until the fan service that was Final Fantasy X-2 the first and arguably only sequel in a series that started on the Original Nintendo in 1987.

There are some constants between versions like character name and special moves but if your not a fan of the series I won't plague you with an explanation.

To some people a persons favourite Final Fantasy is as important as there political leanings. I'm certainly one of those people as Women are instantly more attractive if they enjoy my personal favourite and if they happen to say it is there favourite as well the words 'potential wife' scroll in front of my eyes.

That said here it is my Favourite Computer Game:

I want all to know that choosing this was not easy, I had to wiegh this up against Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas which, took me a second to decide but most importantly the Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time. Even though I've decided, I've posted and I know in the very core of my soul I prefer FFX (Final Fantasy X), I still am not sure that I will always question that thought, that is how much I torn. - It's like choosing between two Identical pieces of chicken and knowning that they taste as good as each other in different ways, but ultimately one has to be better than the other.

That said my Favourtie Computer Game:
 
Tetris on the Grey Game Boy;

This game is half responsible for my childhood weight problems. It kept me up all night and on my arse during the day. It's just the sheer damn simpleness and gradually increasing difficulty that made me compelled. Even now I would quite happily play it rather than work. The later versions like the 3d one on the SNES or even N64 felt more empty even though they technically had more features but they lacked the glorious simplicity of the original.

And of course theres THAT music. (remixed in to a song I believe)
 
No, I'd say San Andreas takes it; it was a masterwork of the GTA franchise. The only function that displeased me even slightly was the eating; that added slightly too much to what is still, at heart, a crime-sim stripped-down RPG. GTA works best when all the focus is on crime, not your own welfare, although I did like the girlfriend subplots.

Quite besides which, I never thought I'd see the day in a GTA game where I:
-escaped from police on a pushbike, riding it off a cliff
-did a barrel-roll in a Lear Jet to avoid being shot by missiles from pursuing planes
-had actually addictive in-game mini-videogames to play on
-could go gambling

The number of vehicles, weapons, and crimes were better than ever, the graphics and loading times were flawless, and the flexibility around mission completion was even better (there was a mission in a quarry on a timer, but if you shot the guy with the detonator, then you could continue to slow down and have a little fun with the survivors).

This game was a triumph of crime-sims, and addictive gaming in general; I cannot wait to see GTA4 for the PS3.

Another favourite is Battlefield 1942, or any of the add-ons...great not in themselves, per se, but because they're fantastic as a home LAN game setup, which we've done at a friend's house many times (once for about 14 hours, I think).
 
But the eating added to the whole idea that you were a part of a world they wanted to put as much real life as they could within a game. For me it was one of the finer features and made more sense than runnng into a big floating heart. - GTA was all about the realism.

Its Narrative is nowhere as good as FFX though.
 
Im a RPG fan, and I have many favorites like "Secret of Mana" "Chrono Trigger" the entire "Resident Evil" series, but my current favorite, I havent played any in awhile is "Fable".

Currently Im stuck in Strategy game world ie "Civilization IV", "The Sims 2", "Rome: Total War" etc.

Im trying to get my Graphics card up to parr so I can play "Oblivion".
 
Knights of the Old Republic games!!
I can not praise these games enough.I'm so glad I tried the first one out,out of curiosity.I got hooked instantly.I'm realy happy there's a thrid one in development-I need my fix and quick!
My fav characters wuld be those you have with you as your team/family in both games.
But the original members are who I miss and hope will come back-Bastila,Canderous Carth...
 
OMG! How could I forget KOTR! That's probably the best RPG made that I played even next to Fable which was way too short.
 
I don't know; possibly the best RPG I ever played was the "World of Warcraft" MMORPG, which took the classic Warcraft franchise down to the level of the individual soldier, allowing you to run around as any race within either Alliance or Horde. As with all MMORPGs, you could happily team up with other members you happened to bump into should a mission be a little challenging, join a Guild, etc. It was brilliant fun as a game, with wonderful in-game graphics, and a very nice experience/level-up system, as well as general development of plotline, and management of multiple people taking the same mission.

It was a fantastic game, and the only thing which really stopped me from playing it (aside from time constraints) was the £9 monthly charge, which was quite a lot for something that I spent maybe 10 hours a week on (sometimes more, but still...).
 
I tried to get into the whole MMORPG genre with Star Wars Galaxies, which was a great game, but the whole monthly fee thing got very old very fast.
 
It's a real shame, since MMORPG is a great way for games to go (cannot wait for the DCU MMORPG, it has to be said - I would actually consider paying for that...), but the charges are really quite prohibitive.
 
Come one, Neverwinter Nights is the best by far. It had everything that a good rpg needs and then some. Actually, anything by Bioware gets two thumbs up from me:bow:
 
Back
Top